I've had this Lane hope chest for years. I re-upholstered it when I originally got it (used from Craigslist) but I was recently inspired to completely redo it due to some awesome fabric I saw at Hobby Lobby.
I was given this dining room table set from a neighbor. I had it for several weeks before I got the energy to paint it (I'm currently 5 1/2 months pregnant and it's 98 degrees here in Florida).
The chairs were horrible looking. When I ripped off the fabric from the seat cushions I realized the original fabric was orange velvet. The set is solid wood so I knew it was good quality, and it's from the 60's.
I painted everything white and then distressed it. I bought new fabric from Hobby Lobby. The pressed wood/partical board that held the seat cushions in were almost all broken and cracked. So my handy dandy husband cut all new seat cushion things with plywood.
A friend of mine asked me to redo a dresser and bedside table. She wanted it white antique looking with a walnut stained top. When I took on this project I didn't realize how large the dresser is. This thing was a BEAST!
I had to sand down the tops of the furniture which was a huge task.
After many many hours of work the furniture was painted:
I watched a tutorial on YouTube on how to use wood stain to antique painted furniture. You can find that video here.
It's a very messy and smelly process. My wonderful husband did this step for me since I'm pregnant and can't be around the strong fumes of wood stain.
After distressing furniture you wipe wood stain across small sections of the furniture, let it sit for about 30 seconds and wipe it off with paper towels. It's a very neat technique. I will definitely do it again.
The knobs came from Hobby Lobby. Wait until their knobs and handles are half off which is basically every other week.
My sister-in-law gave me this lingerie chest and bedside table. She was going to give it to Goodwill. I have never painted anything black before, but I saw a piece of furniture on Pinterest that inspired me.
I used heavy duty wrapping paper to line the drawers. I think it really makes it pop.
This old 1947 Army trunk was a roadside rescue. I didn't know what to do with this trunk. At first I wanted to use it in my soon-to-be baby's nursery to store toys in, but then I realized that I didn't want his little fingers to get slammed in the lid (bad memories from my childhood). Besides being dirty and old, the trunk had a lot of character.
I painted it white using Valspar High Hiding White paint from Lowes. The worse part of this task was painting the inside. If you've ever painted drawers or cabinets you feel my pain. It took forever!! It seriously took me 4 hours to paint this trunk. I sold it for only $40, totally not worth the time I put in it.
I found this chest of drawers on the curb and I seriously considered not taking it because it had a missing drawer. But it was solid wood and if nothing else came from the piece I could at least take the knobs off the drawers and use them on something else.
A friend of mine wants me to help her decorate and furnish her bedroom. She fell in love with this chest, but didn't want to pay $160 for it, plus it wasn't real wood.
After deciding she didn't care the top drawer was missing we agreed to move forward with trying to make the chest look like the inspiration.
I painted it a cream color, stained the top with a walnut wood stain and had my husband use a piece of plywood for the shelf. I figure the shelf can either be used to hold a cable box or she can guy some wicker baskets to store socks, underwear, etc in.
I bought a special stencil to use on the drawers, but the stencil smeared everywhere and it just didn't work. So I ended up using some acrylic stamps I've had for years.
Found this dresser and chest of drawers in someone's trash. Nothing was broken (which is always a relief) but the drawers were covered in dog fur, the outside of the furniture was dirty and splattered with who knows what...
I love the curves these pieces have.
The chest of drawers had a missing knob. I save knobs from other projects so I was able to find two matching knobs to use on the top drawer.
After some cleaning and vacuuming they were ready to paint. I've been using this turquoise color A LOT but it's because it sells! It's such a hot color right now. I'm dying to paint something pink, but I'm afraid it won't be as unisex or as popular as turquoise.
I spray painted the handles white.
I sold the set for $250 on Craigslist. I put about 3-4 hours of work into the pieces (which would have been spent sitting on the couch had I not had the furniture to work on). Money in my pocket!
I am ashamed to say that I do not have a before picture for this piece. It was a roadside rescue (of course) and it took three somewhat strong women to put it in the truck. This sucker is SOLID! It was plain wood, very boring.
I actually found this very heavy, solid wood farm table in the same yard that I got the desk from (Just on a different trash day).
Once I cleaned off the table and picked all the dead spiders off it it was ready to paint. The top of the table was veneer so keeping it natural wasn't an option because the veneer wasn't in great shape. I decided to paint the whole thing white.
The family that bought it own an old farm house so they're trying to use old furniture that coordinates with the house.