I found this gem at Goodwill for $40. I sanded it down and started painting. This is when all hell broke lose. The original wood stain started bleeding through.
It was hell! My husband assured me that paint will eventually cover it I had to just keep putting more paint on it. SIX coats of paint later it was still bleeding red. It looked like someone one been killed on my chest of drawers. I finally googled how to fix it. I put a coat of sealant on it and then paint it. It pretty much worked. There were a few places that I had it put another coat of sealant and then another coat of paint. Altogether I had 7-8 coats of paint. I used 1/2 gallon of paint. Ridiculous!!!!! Distressing this beast was a difficult but my handy dandy sander did the job! I used a projector to trace the octopus on the chest.
I'm in love with this chest! It took me HOURS, a lot of sweat and frustration but it was worth it.